The Yonkers Power Station was completed in 1906 and enabled the first electrification of the New York Central Railroad. Abandoned in the 1960s, it has been vacant ever since. At one time the abandoned masterpiece was dubbed the “Gates of Hell” due to rumors of brutal gang initiations. This triggered a community movement, which called for its demolition. It is now considered a “Seven to Save Endangered Properties” by the Preservation League of New York State. With the previous night’s snowstorm blanketing the interior, Gouin had to wade through chest high snowbanks and jump chain-link fences to gain access.